"[T]he sprawl of government into every conceivable realm of life has caused the withering of traditional institutions. Fathers become unnecessary if the government provides Aid to Families with Dependent Children. Church charities lose their mission when the government provides food, shelter and income to the poor. And the non-poor no longer feel pressed to provide aid to those in need, be they aged parents or their unfortunate neighbors—“compassion” having become the province of the state." -- Mona Charen
Explain that rock stars have an unerring ability to choose the wrong causes. The original Live Aid event, for example, might have killed at least as many Africans as it saved by encouraging Ethiopia's Marxist dictator Mengistu Haile Mariamin the Stalinist "land reform" program that had caused the famine in the first place.
Quick Hits from Heritage:
- According to a new book, President Obama believes racism is a “key component” of the Tea Party movement.
- A gunman shouting “Allahu Akbar” opened fire on a bus carrying U.S. airmen in Frankfurt, Germany, killing two and wounding two.
- The Ohio state Senate approved legislation that prohibits public-employee unions from bargaining over health benefits and pensions while also eliminating their ability to strike.
- The Wisconsin state Senate passed a new rule fining any Senator who misses two or more days of session $100 a day.
- House Budget Committee chairman Paul Ryan (R–WI) says that President Obama has failed to produce a plan to shore up Medicare as required by a 2003 Medicare law.