Monday, July 27, 2009

Somebody ill? Please Pray Using God's Scriptural Promises to the Sick

I am a Vietnam Marine veteran suffering from lung cancer with one remaining lung that has severe copd, heart disease with two stents, diabetes, hypertension, gout, diabetic and chemo neuropathies, and more. In the last 3 years I have been in the hospital for 50 days and home recovering for about 100 days. I just came home after surgery removing my cecum, illium-cecum valve, appendix and a benign mass that had a 99% probability of being malignant. Supposedly, I have had less than a 33% chance of making it this far after the lung cancer.

Praise the Lord! I get up every day raring to see what it will bring, feeling far better than I deserve. Mainly, I want to hope that I am doing what He has kept me here to do. Since the beginning of all of this, prayers by my wife and hundreds of Christian brothers and sisters have led the way. It is obvious to me that He has heard them all!

Please use the Scriptures below to pray for your loved ones! You are also strongly encouraged to post a prayer for the sick in the Comments section below!

"And He said, 'If you will give earnest heed to the voice of the LORD your God, and do what is right in His sight, and give ear to His commandments, and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have put on the Egyptians; for I, the LORD, am your healer.'" Exodus 15:26

"Who pardons all your iniquities, who heals all your diseases." Psalms 103:3

"He sent His word and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions." Psalms 107:20

"But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, and by His scourging we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

"Heal me, O LORD, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for You are my praise." Jeremiah 17:14 (Read my wife's lovely post about this scripture recurring as we underwent my cancer journey.)

"For I will restore you to health and I will heal you of your wounds, declares the LORD." Jeremiah 30:17

"My son, give attention to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Do not let them depart from your sight; keep them in the midst of your heart. For they are life to those who find them and health to all their body." Proverbs 4:20-22

"But the centurion said, 'Lord, I am not worthy for You to come under my roof, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed.'" Matthew 8:8

"Jesus was going through all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness." Matthew 9:35

"And all the people were trying to touch Him, for power was coming from Him and healing them all." Luke 6:19

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews 13:8

"Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him." James 5:14-15

"And He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed." 1 Peter 2:24

"Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers." 3 John 1:2

15 comments:

  1. Dear Heavenly and Precious Father, I ask in Jesus Name for your mercy and your grace in the issues that our brother is facing. Lord God I know that you are in control and that you hold us in your hand and do not let us go. I have for your healing power to go into our brothers and sisters bodies and stroke and caress all that needs healing. You have work for us to do in these times and we ask for your strength and wisdom to make it thru. In Jesus Name I ask for you Angels to surround our Brother with comfort and ministering through this hard time. Let us all remember that it is Your Will Lord God and not our own. In Jesus Name Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John Sykes,

    I'm praying for you to stay strong. Keep your chin up!

    My fav Jeremiah is 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord.

    He's got a plan and you are not alone. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John Sykes,

    I am also praying for you. I have always had the deepest respect for the Viet Nam Veterans. Acctually, all vets for that matter.

    My favorite verse is also Jeremiah 29:11.

    God loves you. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. As is our house. May the Lord keep you in good stead.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are included in my prayers....keep strong, we are all here for a reason, God is working his miracles through all of us....

    Peace and Love to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pray, hope and don't worry, the words of St. Padre Pio. God will never leave you he loves you. I will pray for you. I am going through some scary health issues of my own right now, plese pray for me. May the Lord grant you mercy, peace and health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed our Lord is the healer. He who comes to Him will be no means be cast out. As you draw near to God, know that your intimacy with Him will touch and heal you. Keep proclaiming His Word and keep loving Him.

    Blessings - Deline

    ReplyDelete
  8. May our God completely restore my brother in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May God keep HIS almighty hand on you, protecting you from further pain and suffering. May HE continue to bless you with the ability to pass on your wisdom, words of strength & hope. May HIS Grace be upon you during your difficult times. We ask this in HIS blessed name. Amen. D. Sablan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for ya brother, I will use these great verses and the power of prayer to ask God and his glorious son, Jesus to watch over my family, friends, myself, and all those that are ailing around the world. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lord Jesus, I ask You to be with this man today as he deals with sickness. We ask for Your healing Lord. Through all of this please use him so that others will see Your face and come to know You. You are the Healer Lord and we ask You to heal. Surround him with Your love, touch his heart and give him great peace. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, John... may God continue to bless you! My dad went to Vietnam with the USN. When his time was up with the Navy, he joined the USAF. He went to work with the SR-71. Unfortunately, Agent Orange took its toll when he was in Vietnam. Whether related or not, he got Graves Disease, the treatment of which caused him many problems. The USAF wanted him out on a Medical Discharge just shy of his 20 years. He was able to get them to let him stay until his 20 years were up; so, he could retire. Within years of retiring, he became diabetic. All of this caused problems with his heart and may have contributed to lung problems as well. He passed away in 2005 at the young age of 64. He continued to try for 100% disability. Mom was notified about a month or so after he passed away that they were giving him 100% disability. He used to have a jacket that said: When I die, I'll go to heaven because I spent my time in hell. These words were on the outline of Vietnam. I always admired him for going... for fighting for me. Mom was pregnant with my older brother when Dad went to Vietnam. Whenever he met opposition for going to Vietnam, he would always say he wanted to keep the fight out of our country. He wanted his kids to grow up and know the same country he grew up in and knew. I have always admired Vietnam Vets. I have always admired all vets & military personnel. I was 4F or I would've joined the USCG. I want you to know I am praying for you and your health. I pray daily for the health and well being of all our vets and military personnel.

    May God bless you and heal you.
    And, may your service never be in vain.
    Love all our vets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I urge you to contact Curry Blake at: http://www.jglm.org. he is the general overseer at John G. Lake ministries. Their success with carrying on the healing ministry of the late John Lake is astounding! Call them and if you can travel go there and have them pray and lay hands on you. Call them at least and see what they advise. Smith Wigglesworth used to say: FAITH is AN ACT. Be healed and be blessed. Paul Daigle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have done alot of things in my life I regret. Im 23. But Ive become a better person that I know god has forgiven me for what Ive done. Ive been sick lately. I weigh alot because of medicine I was on when I was younger. I prayed and prayed and Im hoping that god gives me a chance to lose the weight i need to to be there for my daughter who is only 5 and for my husband and family. I vowed to maked my live meaningful and worthy of God. I hope someone can pray for me and I hope he cures my health.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been here linking off your tweets and never bothered to read side links so didn't know until last night that you are fighting another battle. I'm praying for you, your health and your wife. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete