The bottom line is that Americans, like Europeans, have abandoned the cultural, social, religious, and historical underpinnings to the essential notion that people should look out for themselves. As Robert Samuelson put it in Newsweek, Feb 1, 1993, p. 51: "We gradually moved from an era in which people did not want to use government for anything to today when people use government for almost everything."
The difficulty is that government doesn't do anything particularly well. The more we ask government to do, the less it accomplishes and the more it costs. The more government costs, the sooner it will bring down our society.
When the times comes to recover from the coming collapse, let's hope that we remember some of the lessons of this one so that we don't have to make all the mistakes over again.
House Republican Proposal Abandons Core Principles, Gains Little
... the Republican counteroffer, to the extent it can be interpreted from the hazy details now available, is a dud. It is utterly unacceptable. It is bad policy, bad economics, and, if we may say so, highly questionable as a negotiating tactic. [Sen. Jim DeMint didn't like it much better!]
The True Disciple of Saul Alinsky
As for John Boehner, he must know that if he yields too much, his caucus will rebel and his speakership will be at an end. What to do? Forget the deal. Walk away from the talks with Geithner. Pass an extension of the payroll tax cut, and send it to Harry Reid. Pass the Bush tax cuts, and send them to Harry Reid and say: "Harry, you are going to have to pass this extension of the tax cuts, or kill them, or send us a counteroffer. Do nothing, and you, not we, will take America over the cliff."
Kasandra Needed a Gun: To be sure, there are so many self-defense shootings each year that the national news would be carrying several accounts a day. Guns are used over 4,000 times a day (using conservative research findings) in self-defense. In fact, using those conservative figures given us by the Clinton Justice Department, guns are used 50 times more often in self-defense than to illegitimately take life
- RINOs Throwing "Dissident" Conservatives Off Prominent Committees, Dooming the GOP to Irrelevance! http://bit.ly/RznJWw
- 22, Yes, 22 Workplace Freedom States Soared While OH & MI Economies Crashed http://bit.ly/SvQ5hs
- REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER 2014 - Here's the list of RINOs Behind the Purge of Conservatives! http://bit.ly/RzUanS
- Here's what the death of an empire looks like > Gallup: 62% for Compromise, 25% for Principles! http://bit.ly/SvSRDo
- Obama & The USA Humiliated in the Pacific - The worst humiliation ever as a nation! http://bit.ly/RAi9TO