By John Sykes
In “It's Really About Controlling Our Lives”, Paul Driessen writes:
Within days, Majority Leader Harry Reid intends to bring sweeping energy and climate legislation to the Senate floor. He won't call it cap-and-trade or cap-tax-and-trade, and certainly not a carbon tax.
“Those words are not in my vocabulary,” he says. “We’re going to work on pollution.”
Here’s what a June 17 report by Charles River Associates says the “Economic and Energy Impacts Resulting from a National Low Carbon Fuel Standard”, will do to us:
* Increase average gasoline and diesel prices by up to 80% in five years, and 170% within ten years – sending regular gasoline prices soaring to nearly $5 per gallon by 2020 and $7.50 per gallon by 2025 (assuming other international price pressures remain unchanged);
* Spur sharp cost increases for petrochemicals in plastics, pharmaceuticals and other vital products;
* Reduce employment and consumer demand significantly, by increasing the cost of transporting people, equipment, supplies, raw materials, food and finished products – for work, school, healthcare, business, manufacturing, vacation and other purposes;
* Cut business investment by $200-320 billion annually, compared to the no-LCFS baseline;
* Slash gross domestic product by $410-750 billion annually by 2025;
* Cost 2.3 million to 4.5 million American jobs, including up to 1.5 million in manufacturing and 3.0 million in the service sector; and
* Force household purchasing power downward by $1,400 to $2,400 for a family of four by 2025 – impacting minority, elderly and other low and fixed income families worst of all.
So prices will skyrocket, jobs will fly out the window, investment will tank, GDP will fall, and it will cost us middle class serfs a whole lot of purchasing power.
China, India and Brazil will quickly move ahead of us as they laugh at “carbon taxes” and “climate control” and overwhelm us with affordable goods that we can’t produce ourselves.
Once again, post ObamaCare, this is only about seizing more, maybe even most, of the economy! To quote Mr. Driessen, the statists aim only to “put Congress and bureaucrats firmly in charge of our lives, liberties, hopes, dreams and rights.” Please heed his warning:
Be alert. Speak out. And beware of energy and climate dictators and charlatans, and any lame duck session that may come after citizens vote to replace many of the control freaks on Capitol Hill.
I add that we can’t just keep our eyes on statist legislation. Watch for the use of executive dictates and existing regulatory legislation to accomplish what can be blocked by patriots. And really, really watch out for the post Nov. 2nd lame duck session when the liberals and their captive democrats start flailing around in anger and revenge.