Wednesday, June 16, 2010

If you’re serious about change …

By Rick Warren

Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Ecclesiastes 4:12 (NIV)

"If you're serious about change, find another believer you trust and say, "I have this problem. I've confessed it to God. I've asked forgiveness, and now I want to ask you to help me."

Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to clean up all your messes before you ask God for help. That's like curing yourself of a disease before you drive down and see the doctor. Go to God first and get his help in all your battles.

Remember, Jesus provides the power to change your life!

But he will also use these two things to help you change --

  • Avoid temptation -- It is just pure common sense: Don't put yourself in situations where you'll face temptation. If you struggle with alcohol, don't go into a bar. If you're struggling to lose weight, don't load the refrigerator with ice cream. Do whatever you must to avoid temptation.
  • Become accountable -- Find someone who will check up on you, pray for you, and encourage you in the areas where you want to develop more self-control. Ecclesiastes 4:12 says, "Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken" (NIV).

If you're serious about change, find another believer you trust and say, "I have this problem. I've confessed it to God. I've asked forgiveness, and now I want to ask you to help me. Will you be my 'buddy,' a person I can call on the phone when I need support and encouragement?"

I believe God intends for every church to be filled with "buddy" relationships where people are accountable to each other, where they help and encourage each other in the Lord.

Having someone hold you accountable is tough, but it works.

[ I am a member of what'’s called a “Track Team” at my church – a group of 6 men who meet weekly in accountability sessions. We laugh, we account to each other, and, most of all, we help each other. This is the strongest group of friends I have and I prize them all. Most of all, we hope that this group brings us closer to Him and to understanding His will! – JS ]

No comments:

Post a Comment