Friday, March 11, 2011

Are Christian men wusses?

By John Sykes

When my wife finally got me stumbling down the path into a relationship with Christ, I had an issue. My primary image of Christian men was that they were wusses. Then I read John Eldredge’s books on just this theme and spent some real time with those men. Many of them were strong and good. Now they are my brothers. And we are all still sinners!

image

“A Nice Guy” from Wild at Heart by John Eldredge:

And then, alas, there is the church. Christianity, as it currently exists, has done some terrible things to men. When all is said and done, I think most men in the church believe that God put them on the earth to be a good boy. The problem with men, we are told, is that they don't know how to keep their promises, be spiritual leaders, talk to their wives, or raise their children. But, if they will try real hard they can reach the lofty summit of becoming . . . a nice guy. That's what we hold up as models of Christian maturity: Really Nice Guys. We don't smoke, drink, or swear; that's what makes us men. Now let me ask my male readers: In all your boyhood dreams growing up, did you ever dream of becoming a Nice Guy? (Ladies, was the Prince of your dreams dashing . . . or merely nice?)

Really now-do I overstate my case? Walk into most churches in America, have a look around, and ask yourself this question: What is a Christian man? Don't listen to what is said, look at what you find there. There is no doubt about it. You'd have to admit a Christian man is . . . bored. At a recent church retreat I was talking with a guy in his fifties, listening really, about his own journey as a man. "I've pretty much tried for the last twenty years to be a good man as the church defines it." Intrigued, I asked him to say what he thought that was. He paused for a long moment. "Dutiful," he said. "And separated from his heart." A perfect description, I thought. Sadly right on the mark.

2 comments:

  1. A real issue when church is boring and men must toe line without wild side.

    Wild side needed for strength and warrior commitment. Instead, typical church seeks to poison wild side to make men tractable and obedient.

    That makes you depressed, bored and weak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment came in on Twitter:

    Bingo. Jackpot. A lot of Christian orthodoxy & traditional attitude is anti-male, anti-masculinity. Boredom, weakness result.

    ReplyDelete